Thursday, February 3, 2011

Simplicity.

I'm sitting at a local coffee shop, drinking the last of my caramel latte, when this family of 5 walks in. The kids order hot chocolate and sit down with their parents to play a game. I watch as the get Yahtzee ~ the game my mom taught me to play years ago. In fact, I've grown up playing it... I think about all the memories I have of my mom and I playing Yahtzee.
I forget about the family as I start going through pictures that need to be uploaded (backups!!). I have my headphones in (listening to Dave Barnes)...
The sound of dice hitting a table brings me back. I look up and realize that the family is not playing Yahtzee the normal way. I start to laugh inside. (How hard is it to learn how to play Y? I mean, come on! Just read the directions, it's not that hard of a game to understand.) It hit me. The parents had turned it into a learning game for the kids without them realizing it. The would roll the dice and whoever had the highest total of dice won that round. The kids (all under the age of 13) were having a blast!
Could life really hold such joy in simplicity?

No comments:

Post a Comment